How did NAPPA Come About:
NAPPA was founded 28 years ago to celebrate the very best in family products. The National Parenting Product Awards (NAPPA) was founded by L.A. Parent magazine in 1990 as a national company. The Children’s Products division of NAPPA was designed to help parents make the best, most age-appropriate choices in children’s books, toys, games, music, DVDs and software for their children, from newborn to adolescents. In 1998, the Parenting Resources division was added to provide parents with a filtered list of the best products to help raise and educate themselves and their children. NAPPA is now owned and administered by Epstein Custom Media and NAPPA.
How is NAPPA different from other awards programs?
- NAPPA has been in existence for more than 28 years and is the most comprehensive and, quite likely, the most selective awards program of its kind. NAPPA’s recognition is more than just a seal of approval — it means that a product has been carefully judged and deemed “best in its class” by expert judges, parent and child testers, and product reviewers.
- We are not a “pay-to-play” program, and as a result, the value of a NAPPA award is widely recognized and highly respected within the product industries. NAPPA is respected by the industry and trusted by families.
- NAPPA is the exclusive product evaluator for L.A. Parent magazine, reaching 200,000 families each month. NAPPA is the only awards program that has a media reach in both print and digital platforms.
- Parents look at NAPPA’s winning results as a valuable shopping guide delivered by familiar and trusted local parenting magazines and websites.
What type of products does NAPPA judge?
NAPPA evaluates a wide range family products, including:
- Books and Magazines
- DVDs & TV Shows
- Virtual/Tech Products (Apps, Software, Hardware, Video Games and Websites)
- Pet Products
- Educational Tools for Parents and Children, Arts & Crafts
- Family Health & Safety, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition & Fitness
- Gadgets ‘n’ Gear
- Natural & Green
- Household (Housewares, Décor, etc.)
Books, Audio Books & Magazines: This category welcomes all genres of books and magazines published for children. Books for Young Children include board books, picture books, pop-ups and book kits (packaged with a toy, CD, art tools, etc.). Chapter Books and Young Adult books include novels, fiction, non-fiction, biography, poetry, fantasy, graphic novels, etc. Magazines can be of any genre for any age or reading level. Books and Magazines are judged for their literary value, visual presentation of text and illustration, and story appeal. This category also includes Spoken Word products.
NOTE: Books that come with companion CDs or toys should be entered in the Books & Magazines category only if the book is the primary element of the set. Books in galley form may be submitted if they will be published and available for purchase six weeks after submitting, however, we’d prefer not to receive galleys.
DVDs & TV Shows: This category includes the full range of entertaining and educational visual presentations for children: stories, documentaries, skill builders (learning colors, alphabet, etc.) and interactive games, dance or exercise. Studio and independent feature films, TV programming available on DVD, and made-for-television specials are also included.
Games: Includes board games, card games and outdoor games – in short, games that require rules in order to play. NOTE: Video games should be entered into the Virtual sub-category.
Music: Includes lullabies and instrumentals, multicultural and multilingual songs, original compositions and old favorites.
NOTE: Music entries that have companion books or toys will be judged on the quality and content of the music, lyrics, vocals and recording only. If the music is secondary to the book or toy, please enter such products in NAPPA’s Books & Magazines category or Toy category.
Virtual/Tech: This category includes software, hardware, video games, hand-held systems, websites and apps, products that can be used on the computer.
Toys: Must be fun and engaging! Products can be indoor or outdoor, electronic or not. We welcome toys and activity kits for all children, including those with special needs, as well as products that promote development of specific skills, and toys that encourage family play, as well as toys that can be used alone or with friends. We look for innovation, educational value and the ability to “grow” with a child’s developmental interests and needs and of course the FUN factor.
NOTE: Toys that come with books should be entered in the NAPPA Toys category only if the toy is the primary element of the set.
IMPORTANT: Batteries must be included with products that require them.
NAPPA staff and judges reserve the right to assign your entry to a different product category or age range.
Parenting Resources invites product submissions from the following sub-categories:
- Accessories/Apparel, Educational Tools for Parents and Children, Arts & Crafts, Family Health & Safety, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition & Fitness, Gadgets ‘n’ Gear, Household, Maternity/Breastfeeding and Natural & Green.
- Parenting books, periodicals and newsletters
- “How-to” parenting CDs, DVDs and Websites for parents of children of all ages.
- Maternity, childbirth, breastfeeding and other post-natal products and clothing
- Baby/child gear, such as car safety seats, strollers, carriers, portable cribs, etc.
- Baby/child accessories, such as baby bottles, pacifiers, diaper bags, clothing, etc.
- Safety and childproofing products
- Room décor and furnishings
- Time-saving and labor-saving gadgets
- Skill-building and educational products for children of all ages (i.e., babies through teens)
- Health & skin care products
- Fitness & nutrition
- Healthy snacks
- Green and natural products
- Pet products
- Resources for families with children who have special needs, products that promote family time and family bonding
Examples of past winners include breastfeeding aids, parenting guides, an all-purpose compact screwdriver, a family life organizing binder, an easy-to-install-and-adjust car safety seat, etc.
Note: NAPPA cannot accept single entries that weigh more than 100 pounds.
If you have any questions regarding the category in which your product best belongs, email us at NAPPA@NAPPAawards.com.
Why Should I enter?
A NAPPA award is much more than a seal of approval. A NAPPA winner is selected as best in its class by expert judges, parent and child testers, and product reviewers.
- Low entry fee!
NAPPA’s entry fees are among the most reasonable submission fees around!
- Complimentary Seal
As part of your win, you’ll receive a complimentary dated e-seal for you to use on your packaging, website and in all your marketing materials.
- Editorial coverage
Winners are included in editorial roundups and receive individual social media posts on all NAPPA platforms.
- Year-round Web coverage
All winners get online visibility at NAPPAawards.com with a description, photo of the winning product and link to your company’s site.
- Chance to be a featured product reviews in parenting publications
NAPPA’s product reviews are considered a valuable resource to parents who frequently visit NAPPAawards.com. Our reviews are also seen in L.A. Parent Magazine, with a readership of over 200,000. NAPPA also provides product reviews for members of the Parenting Media Association, which includes parenting publications around the country.
- Chance to be included in TV segments
NAPPA is the go-to source for media outlets looking for products for holiday and lifestyle segments. We’ve helped with content for KTLA/Los Angeles, FOX/Denver, Hallmark Channel’s Home and Family and more!
- Cost of Entry
The entry fees for NAPPA are among the most reasonable for awards programs of this kind. Discounts are available for multiple entries that are submitted at the same time. We encourage large and small companies to enter.
- What are the deadlines for entries?
Entries are accepted year-round and you will receive your results once they are determined.
However, we do have themed editorial roundups planned throughout the year to celebrate our winners. Deadlines for these are:
- Baby & Healthy Living : Deadline: April 30
- Family Travel, Spring & Summer Fun: Deadline: May 30
- Back to School: Deadline: June 1
- Celebrating the Holidays: Deadline: September 1
How and when are NAPPA entrants notified of the results?
Once samples are received, testing typically takes between 4-6 weeks.
Entrants will be notified of results via email as soon as they have been determined.
Please note that NAPPA is not a “Pay-to-Play” program and an award designation is not guaranteed.
Is there any restrictions on the release year for entries?
No, there is no restriction on the year of release for NAPPA entries. A product does not need to have a release date for the current year to enter NAPPA. A previous NAPPA winner that is re-released with significant new features will be considered a new product and may enter again (i.e., a new edition of a book with an additional chapter, or an expansion pack on an existing software program).
Send 2 Samples to:
National Parenting Products Awards (NAPPA)
ATTN: NAPPA SUBMISSION
5855 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Suite 210
Woodland Hills, CA 91367 818-264-2222 ext. 222
How long is my product considered a NAPPA winner?
For “tangible” products, “once a NAPPA winner, always a NAPPA winner” as long as the design and content remain the same, and the quality of materials, manufacturing process and safety standards are upheld. If a winning product is later re-released with significant new features, it will be considered a new product and should be re-entered into the evaluation program to qualify for a NAPPA seal. For example, a new edition of a book with an additional chapter or an expansion pack on an existing software program would make that product eligible for re-entry as a new product.
In the case of “evolving” product winners – such as websites, magazines, newsletters, etc. – these winners may display their award seal for a full year. Winners who wish to continue using the NAPPA seal beyond that point, or to reference their product as a current NAPPA winner, need to submit their product again for judging.
How will my samples be used:
Your samples and any marketing material you include are submitted to our judges and family testers for evaluation. Extra samples may be used for promotional opportunities and charitable donations. Some of the organizations that have received donations are:
- Autism Speaks
- AOL Development Center
- Baby2Baby, Los Angeles, CA
- Baby Buggy, New York, NY
- Baltimore Lab School, Baltimore, MD
- Blanchard Community Library, Santa Paula, CA
- Bassett Street Elementary, Van Nuys Elementary, CA
- Cedar-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Children’s Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Santa Barbara, CA
- Cottage Children’s Hospitals, Santa Barbara, CA
- El Nido Family Centers
- First Book Georgetown University Hospital, Washington DC
- The Herman & Walter Samuelson Children’s Hospital at Sinai, Baltimore, MD
- Hollister School, Santa Barbara, CA
- Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, MD
- Kilmer Center, Vienna, VA
- LAUSD’s Homeless Education Foundation
- Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- E.N.D. (Meet Each Need with Dignity)
- Miller Children’s Hospital
- MS Foundation
- Washington Pediatric Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- My Stuff Bags Foundation
- Ovarian Cancer Coalition of Southern California
- Peyton’s Project
- San Fernando Rescue Mission
- San Gabriel Unified School District
- Santa Clarita Elementary School, Santa Clarita, CA
- Serrania Avenue Elementary School, Woodland Hills, CA
- Shayla’s Foundation
- Shadow Hills Ranch
- Theatre Arts Festival for Youth (TAFFY)
- Toys for Tots University of Virginia Children’s Hospital, VA
- West Valley Food Pantry